NOLA Day Two
NOLA Day 2
Last night I wrestled with my conscience most of the night. It was an epic struggle. What to do, what to do? On the one hand I had powerful urges I could not ignore. On the other, I knew if I gave in to them it would upset a comfortable situation I enjoyed immensely. I lay awake for what seemed like hours trying to decide. In the end, the urges won out. Okay, I wasn’t wrestling with my conscience so much as my bladder. I really had to go, but it was cold out, and a long walk to the porta-johns. I was at the end of the tent farthest from the door and I doubted my ability to navigate the entire way in the dark without awakening my roomies. Finally I could stand it no more and got up. I made it to the door and unzipped it quietly as I could. I pulled the tent flap back and was immediately blinded by powerful arc lights that they kept running all night long. It was bright as daylight, and, as I had already known, a good deal louder as the light’s generators joined the raucous chorus of all the others that they kept running all the time. Once in the porta-john, well, suffice it to say I could have done more than I did, but I just let it go. The opportunity I mean. It was a forbearance that was to haunt me later in the morning when there was no toilet paper to be had in the entire camp.
Promptly at
Someone’s sleeping Lord, Kiss my Yah, etc.
My roomies were all excited because today Billy Graham and his son were supposed to be at the camp. Later they were having a crusade in
In a related story former Vice-Presidential candidate John Edwards is supposed to be working here today to. He’s bringing 800 volunteers from
I’m on team 21 Black. There are 11 of us. Our team leader is a guy named Brian from
The mold wasn’t too bad. I didn’t wear my respirator, just a good dust mask Kenny and Jimmy (two guys from NYC I’ve made friends with) gave me. I did wear a hard hat, safety glasses and steel toed boots. All of those came in handy. We spent the day hauling stuff out of the house to the street in front, where a man with a bobcat frontloader put it in a dump truck and hauled it a way. At first the mood was a bit somber. This was somebody’s life we were throwing out. Baby shoes, Christmas decorations, wedding china, everything. As time went on though we got used to it. In fact we soon started to wish whoever it was hadn’t lived quite so long. The house was packed. Every room, every closet, every cabinet, was filled completely with ruined stuff. When ever we opened a door it looked like a bad gag in a cheep comedy film. It took until after lunch to even get to the bedrooms. I don’t mean get to working on them, I mean actually remove enough stuff to where I could crawl over what was left and even see them. When we finally made it to the floor in the main room, there were 5 inches of mud on the carpet. Everything has to come out. By about 1 I was able to start pulling off the paneling to get to the sheet rock that I pulled off next. I was actually pretty good at that part. A crowbar is probably my favorite tool. I kept four people busy hauling the stuff out that I was pulling down.
We knocked off at about
2 Comments:
Rip out. Now that is my kind of work. I am not of the "measure twice cut once" school of thought. I am more of the tear it out iwth a crow bar school. Good descriptions of the environment. I think it would be interesting and good to do, but I don't think I would want to live in a tent with 15 fundamentalist undergrads.
The roomies aren't so bad. I only see them for a few minutes in the morning when my eyes are mostly still shut fast, and a few minutes in the evening when my eyes are shutting fast.
Post a Comment
<< Home